Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I'm Alive, I Promise!

I'm really sorry for having not posted in a while. Classes started, as you heard, and then life got really really busy. I teach 17 lessons every week, 7 of which are unique lessons, meaning they require completely different subject matter, lesson plans, worksheets, etc. Then add the fact that I don't have a book to teach out of, don't have a curriculum to follow, and don't have any experience teaching English. Oh, and I'm pretty much 100% responsible for generating this content on my own.
  1. That means I first have to think up a topic to teach that is of appropriate difficult level, which is not even consistent among students of the same grade level.
  2. I then have to outline a 50 minute lesson plan and run it by my Japanese-English teachers.
  3. I then must generate worksheets (almost always from scratch) that are dynamic and engaging enough to capture students attention while being sufficiently well laid out so as to not require significant explanation. These worksheets must also anticipate student confusion points and clarify them appropriately.
  4. I must devise activities that incorporate the lesson material, including new vocab, new grammar, and new sentence structure, and integrate these activities into the lesson.
All of this has to be done in such a way that it won't put students to sleep, which is hard to avoid when some of their heads are down before I even enter the room. Then, once I get to the classroom, I have a huge burden on myself. I have to fluidly adapt to both the students AND the teachers. Each teacher has a different style, so some will translate what I say word-for-word, some will only translate when prompted by me, some will walk around and keep the students in line, and some will walk around and help students one-on-one with trouble points. As for the students, ability levels can vary within a single grade level, as a mentioned, but also vary widely in the same classroom. So, while some students have finished the worksheet a couple minutes after they get it, others are a struggle to get to even write their name at the top. Then there are the points that I assumed would be easily learned, and end up being extremely difficult, and the things I anticipated to be difficult that end up being quite easy. Then, I have to keep things moving at relatively the same pace so that classes doing the same lesson as each other progress at the same rate.

In addition to work, I try to make it to the gym 3-4 times a week. On Thursday evenings, I have a one-on-one Japanese language/conversation lesson with a sweet older woman at the local International Friendship Society. On weekends, I am usually tied up with traveling with friends, new acquaintances, etc as I explore the different elements of this new world. During the time that I'm actually at home, which rarely exceeds more than two or three waking hours in a day, I'm usually pretty tied up with house chores like laundry, vacuuming, cleaning, trash organizing, yard work (haven't made much progress here), etc. I really feel like I have lived more in this past 2 months than I did in the past 2 years.

So there, I just managed to combine a recap of my past few weeks with an excuse for why it's been a few weeks since my last recap. I also wasn't lying when I said I had a load of pictures and videos to share, and the content is only building so I really gotta purge it out to you on cyberspace ASAP. No joke, I have several hours of HD video alone (which I'll obviously have to parse through as I can't be posting that much onto the internet).

*EDIT: And a reminder, I love comments! Comment me, let me know what you think of all this stuff I talk about, let me know what you want to hear more about or see more of, and feel free to ask questions! The more I know that people are reading this stuff, the more I want to keep up with postings!*

4 comments:

  1. Impressive list of tasks. Are you still seeing results in your students? Glad to see you are back to the blog. Like to see more about the International Friendship Society. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't be able to do any of that... props to you brobro LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are two sources I would go to for inspiration for a lot of my classes.
    http://www.eslcafe.com/
    http://www.eslgold.com/speaking/supplementary_materials.html

    I don't know if these will help, but I completely sympathize for you with all of the work that you have now and ahead of you. Just wait until you have to give tests and then grade them all.
    2001-2004 Nagano Ken AET/PA
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. E.

    Your dad sent me this link, it was exciting to read, you sound very busy, but up to the task! Keep your head up and remember, this is an experience of a life time, I still remember fondly the years I lived in Germany, now 36 years later, wow am I getting old.

    Ryan lives here in Dallas with us now, I will forward your link to him.

    pms.

    ReplyDelete